Monday, April 20, 2009

Gathering Moss

In addition to REFUGE, I'm reading Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Thanks for the tip, Cheryl! I love the way the author, a botanist specializing in mosses (bryology), also honors her Potawatomi heritage. She says that "In indigenous ways of knowing... a thing cannot be understood unitil it is known by all four aspects of our being: mind, body, emotion, and spirit." As a bonus, sprinkled throughout are delicate botanical drawings by her father.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the book. I love it but I still haven't managed to take the time to learn the different mosses. At least now I can recognize the various parts and their function. And tell one moss from another. I love the quote you shared from the book. Thanks. Now if I can just get my mind to join in.

    ReplyDelete